A Semester in Japan

Hello, readers. This is Ivy Wong. A new semester begins—my final one at university. I can hardly believe how swiftly time has passed. It feels like just yesterday that I left home to pursue my higher education at UUM. Now, as I stand on the threshold of my final chapter, I am reminded of how time slips through our fingers like sand. And so, we must embrace each fleeting moment, cherishing the present before it fades into memory. ๐Ÿƒ๐ŸŽ

Throughout my journey in my higher education, my favorite memory is, without a doubt, my student exchange to Japan. Studying abroad had been a dream of mine since childhood, but I chose to pursue my degree at a local university to save money. Yet, when the opportunity for a one-semester exchange in Japan arose during my fourth semester, I knew I had to seize it. And I can happily say—it was the best decision I have made in life so far. I did not have any prior knowledge of Japan other than my love for sushi and udon, I wasn't a fan of J-pop nor anime either. However, I came back to Malaysia with an unexpected love for that country, longing to go back again and maybe move there and start a new life there. That was definitely not on my expectation list HAHAHA! ๐Ÿฏ๐ŸŽŽ


One of the things I am most grateful for from my exchange is the genuine friendships I gained. I met so many wonderful people who made life less mundane, less lonely, and so much more colorful. The nights we spent singing our hearts out in karaoke, the meals we cooked from scratch, the sunrises and sunsets we watched together, and the little corners of Japan we explored side by side. Oh, if only I could put into words how precious these memories are to me. It gives me a little heartache knowing that we are all scattered in our home countries now, that the brief meeting in Japan is what makes my heart yearn to meet them again in the future. And the best part? They’re visiting Malaysia this year, and I couldn’t be more excited! ๐Ÿค๐Ÿก


I've always wanted to have a picnic party with friends, and it came true! In the gentle breeze of a spring afternoon, we went to buy food from Costco (which I think it's truly eye-opening, because we don't have it in Malaysia). With our baskets full of food, we cycled to a park not far from our university. Though cherry blossom season had passed, the air was still crisp, lingering between spring’s farewell and summer’s arrival. Talk about perfect timing HAHAHA! The gentle air caressed our skin as we pedaled through the quiet countryside, sunlight filtering through the layers of leaves above us. The air was so fresh, so invigorating, it felt like a scene from a dream. My friends in the photo above are all from southeast Asia, such as Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, Cambodia and Malaysia. That picnic, filled with laughter, good food, and the warmth of friendship, became one of my most cherished core memories from Japan. ๐Ÿฒ๐Ÿ•๐ŸŒฑ


I went to Tokyo for the first time! My university is located at the outskirts of Japan, and it takes about 2 hours to travel to Tokyo by bus or train. That day was my birthday, and it truly felt like a fever dream. ๐ŸŽ‚๐Ÿ’…๐ŸŽ‰

Oh! Just look at how perfectly my pink bike complements the plum blossoms! This was in late spring, when these blossoms were more prevalent than cherry blossoms. Every day, I cycled to class on paths like this, and I must say that Japan truly has the most beautiful roadside flora. It became a simple yet cherished part of my routine, gliding past vibrant blooms, feeling the crisp morning air, and letting the sight of flowers brighten my day. If only you could understand the pure joy found in life’s little moments—TT!! ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ€


Oh, say hi to my French girlie! Took us a very short time to get closer, and we instantly clicked and planned a trip to Tokyo to try on Kimonos before the weather turns hot and humid. We went to Asakusa to rent kimonos, took lots of pretty pictures and made precious memories together. Notice that we picked out the same pattern but different colors? hehe. ๐Ÿ‘˜๐Ÿ’„๐Ÿ’ฎ

Easily one of my favorite memories in Japan—DisneySea! The vibes? Immaculate. My inner child felt so happy, so free, like I had stepped into a dream. Never in my wildest imagination did I think I’d visit Disney, in Japan, with the most adorable friends?! These people made the experience a thousand times more magical. Even though the heat was relentless (we literally got heatstroke), I know that 10, 20, or even 50 years from now, when I look back, my heart will be full of gratitude and joy, reminiscing about the good old Disney days. ✌๐Ÿ˜†๐ŸŽข๐ŸŽ 


Getting our certificates for completing the AIMS program. Sadly, this also indicated that our time in Japan is running out, the exchange was ending, and we were gonna return to our home countries soon. We all planned to wear the same color on that day, which is grey! Look how cute we were hehe. ๐ŸŽ“๐ŸŽ✈


My most blissful, heartwarming journey was Kyoto with them. Kyoto is, and always will be, my favorite place on Earth, nothing and no one can change my mind. We traveled there in the thick of summer, and though the heat was suffocating, what lingers is not the humidity, but the warmth of our friendship, the kind of bond strengthened by unexpected encounters and fleeting, golden moments. As July's heat melt into August, I think of them a little more every day. ๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ’—

And so, as I close this chapter, this is my love letter—to this exchange, to the people I met along the way, the ones who stayed and those who left, I love you. I want to live life, I want to find beauty in this mundane life, I want to bend in thousand directions like the sun does, like love does. <3

With so much love,
Ivy.


Comments